Biography A San Francisco Bay Area photographer creating interesting and artful images.
I have been working on two series, "Am I Blue?" and "Materials of Survival" , both exploring long term survival and HIV/AIDS.
The series, Materials of Survival, is/was in a solo show at Magnet SF in San Francisco in November 2015 (http://j.mp/magnet-show).
Several of the images from these series have appeared in group art/photography gallery shows. In June 2015, I was one of three artists (with Hunter Reynolds and Frank Yamrus) in the "Long Term Survivors Project" at San Francisco Camerawork (www.SFCameraworks.org).
Especially drawn to street photography, urban landscapes, community events, travel, and night photography. Born in London, coming to the U.S. when I was young. I attended U.C. Berkeley where I received a B.A. in Psychology. After a career in computer support, I returned to school in the mid-2000’s, I discovered a passion for photography and received an A.S. in Photography. I had solo exhibitions and coordinate the 81 Bees Photo Collective.
Statement for “Materials of Survival”
This body of work is called "The Materials of Survival" and uses the drugs and other paraphernalia that HIV+ people needs to interact with in order to live with this disease.
The effects of years of struggle, uncertainty and survival has creating unexpected symbols and unforeseen reactions. Visual images capturing different aspects of being positive. How the antiviral cocktails achieve a larger meaning and a grander design. Memories of a test changing everything. Understanding communications typed in a foreign syntax necessary to live, How the old practices of safe sex have opened up with new horizons.
It grows from my experience as a HIV+ man and a long term survivor. Facing HIV has been a major task of my adult life. These images expose the struggles that might exist alongside well-being and gratitude.
You can see the work here or at my website - http://grahameperryphotography.com/materials-of-survival/ My other series on HIV and Long Term Survival is "Am I Blue?" which can be seen here: http://grahameperryphotography.com/am-i-blue/
CURRICULUM VITAE - Grahame Perry
Solo Photo Exhibitions (selected)
- Previous Shows
- Long Term Survivors Project, SF Camerawork, June-July 2015
- Connection: Glitter Bomb, National Queer Arts Festival 2015 - SOMArts Cultural Center - June 2015
- Lexhibition at the Center, Queer Cultural Center - S.F. LGBT Center - April/May 2015
- Queer and Now, 17th National Queer Arts Festival - May - July 2014
- Kinsey Institute 2014 Art Show @ Grunwald Art Gallery, Bloomington, Indiana - May - July 2014
- 75 Years: Selections from the CCSF Photography Department - January 2014
- Queer THE Now @ Los Medanos College Art Gallery, Antioch - Nov-Dec 2013 (Contra Costa Times article)
- After Dark, Early Morning - MNPL Photo Center, Minneapolis - August 2011
- Family - 81 Bees - Rayko Photo Center - September / October 2015
- New Visions - 81 Bees Photo Collective - Rayko Photo Center - January/February 2014
- Food - PhotoBooth - August/September 2013
- Nature in B&W - The Gallery at Calumet - July 2013
- The Contemporary HIV Zeitgeist, Annals of Gay Sexuality - (2 images part of book) - September 2015
- Medication, Mourning and Moving Forward: the Art of Grahame Perry (and Art Gallery) - Tikkun Daily - August 2015
- Materials of Survival - Arts and Understanding - June 2015
- Interview in Visual AIDS Blog - Visual AIDS - June 2015
- 'Long-Term Survivor Project' Perspective about AIDS - SF Chronicle - June 25, 2015
- Surviving AIDS with art and defiance - Bay Area Reporter - June 25, 2015
- HAART at Art - Visual AIDS - Online Gallery September 2014
- Grahame Perry (from Am I Blue?)- RFD Magazine - Summer 2014
- Materials of Survival, 2015
- Verasphere - 2012
- The Night in San Francisco - 2011
- 2013 - A.S. in Photography - City College of San Francisco
- 1983 - B.A. Psychology - U.C. Berkeley